Thinking. Growing. Learning. Changing.

Tuesday 10 June 2008

Frenzy 08


This year has been a good year so far. I've been to lots of exciting places and events. On Saturday I attended Frenzy for the first time with some friends from church. I decided to go this year since David Crowder*Band were playing and they've been a favourite of mine for a few years. I didn't know what to expect but I can tell you that the whole day was brilliant!


We arrived early - about 10:40am - and didn't have to wait in much of a que to get our wristbands and programmes. The sun was shining and straight away I began meeting people I know from various different places. I love these big Christian events because you're guaranteed to meet at least ten other people you already know. At a rough count I think I met at least 20.

We spent most of the early afternoon outside having some food and wandering for the initial sets. After the first band came on there were some general promo videos which I didn't take much interest in until lo and behold the SU promotional video was played! There I was on the big screen at Frenzy. Bit of a shock but pretty cool.


Most of the bands I had never heard of and didn't take a particular interest in until Leeland came on. A fabulous band. These guys were just so humble and Earnest - there was no attitude from these guys. I really loved their music but the moment that won it for me was when they sang "Come Lord - Come to Scotland." I think that right there and then they won the patriotic hearts of every Scottish person in the hall.


DC*B wasn't on till later but I went in early to make sure I got a good view. Did I get a good view or what - right up at the barricades in front of the stage - nobody in front of me and 7000 people behind me. It doesn't get better than that! All the gigs I've been to I've been in the middle or at the back without a great view but this made up for them all. The crowd was clearly anticipating their arrival and got really hyped up a good 15 minutes before they appeared. When they finally did the place erupted. They did a great set and got everyone really excited and it was clear that they were enjoying themselves too. I just loved it.


Following DC*B was Chris Tomlin. I kept my spot at the front for that and I wasn't disappointed. Again there was a real humility from him and the band as they played. They did most of my favourites and somehow even the songs I'm usually sick of seemed so much better - fresher even. At one point the audience overtook the band with chanting and the band just stood back and watched. There's no crowd like a Scottish crowd!


Words can't really describe how immense the day was but it was just amazing and definitely a memory to treasure. I can say I've been there, done that and I even got the tshirt.

No comments: