Thinking. Growing. Learning. Changing.

Wednesday 26 December 2007

Research

Christmas should be a holiday, it really should. Unfortunately, for some of us, it's just a chance to catch up with work and write one of the many assignments which will soon be due for handing in. I was never really one for studying. Although I'm quite good at writing an essay (even at 3:30am - yes it has happened) I find the research painstaking and often struggle to find the motivation to even open a book. However, where the subject of my research actually captures my interest, particularly where the research is voluntary or self-chosen, the results prove to be more satisfying and the learning much more valuable to myself.


As previously mentioned, I have taken on an independent study module as part of my graduation process. I considered various subjects to research, weighing up the options of picking something easy and which I already knew a lot about or embarking on a completely new area of research that would be both interesting and useful in my current and future work. Being ever in favour of taking on a challenge I opted for the latter. I was asked to prepare a presentation on behaviour management for the team at Friday Night Live, part of the ongoing youth outreach at our church. At first I felt this would be easy enough, I could simply transfer my existing knowledge of discipline and the various techniques of pupil management in to the youth ministry context. However, as I considered the issue surrounding discipline at FNL I realised that there is far more to the issue than meets the eye. Always in favour of making life easy I decided to make the topic of my independent study module the same as that of my presentation, therefor allowing myself sufficient time for proper research. So, I am currently studying what will be known as, "The Implications of Discipline in a Christian Youth Work Setting."


I've found the research fascinating as I've covered various subjects such as active listening and counselling skills, pastoral approaches, responding to challenging behaviour and looking at all this in parallel with the mission statement outlined by Jesus and the intended purpose of the youth ministry at FNL. The more I read the more questions arise; How do we 'do' discipline in youth ministry, particularly in detatched youth work? What is the purpose of our discipline and what do we convey by the standards we set? What, if any, effect does our discipline and it's application have on our relationships with the young people? How does our discpline communicate the gospel?


I see a PhD on the horizon. Watch this space.

No comments: